, ,

So this has been new in the last couple of weeks.  Granted, Jake’s been alive for less than two months, so I know I shouldn’t have gotten comfortable with any kind of schedule or general temperance that he had in his first few weeks of life.  But those first few weeks he was SO SO SO good, only fussing when he needed a diaper changed, was hungry, or needed to get some farts out (let me tell you, this kid can fart like no other).

I should preface all of this by saying that he is still an incredibly well behaved baby.  He’s not colicky, which I’m extremely grateful for.  He just has gotten into this new thing where on some days, right around six o’clock in the evening, he gets really fussy for a good hour or so.  The first time it happened it was really difficult for Jeff and I to figure out how to calm him down.  After a good 30-45 minutes of crying, we finally put him in his car seat and decided to take him for a drive (he loves his car seat and usually falls asleep whenever we take him out anywhere).  We hadn’t even hit the house door and he had already calmed down, but we drove around for a good 15 minutes or so until he fell asleep.

The very next day, he started getting fussy again, and this time we only waited about 5 minutes before we decided to put him in his stroller and take him for a walk.  He loved it.  He passed out, I went back home to have dinner (of course, his fussy hour is always when dinner for momma is ready!), and managed to get a few bites in before he woke up and got fussy again.  We decided to try a bath, and although he cried through the whole bath, he was calm and relaxed after and fell asleep.

This week his outbursts haven’t been as bad as last week, but it’s still hard when Jeff and I come home from work and want to spend time with him, and he just starts crying…he calms down if you soothe him, but it’s not a super easy task.

Today was amazing, however.  He got plenty of sleep during the day, so I think that helped.  We went for a little walk before dinner, he slept in his stroller for most of dinner, and then we gave him a bath after.  Bath time wasn’t super fun, but once we got him out of the water we got some great quality hang out time with him.  Those are the moments that we live for these days :)

All in all, it still feels stupid to complain about his fussy hour because I know some/most babies are a lot more difficult for a much longer time–I know we’ve got it easy.  But it’s still hard to see your little one crying and not be able to do anything about it.  On the bright side: he’s almost two months, and this phase should be over soon-ish (hopefully!).

Feel free to share your pearls of wisdom if you had a similar situation :)